After carefully researching the factors that contribute to success in virtual schooling, Great Lakes Learning Academy (GLLA) developed a three-part family support program. This unique foundation of support sets Great Lakes Learning Academy apart—and helps make the learning experience more engaging and rewarding for students and families:
Family Support Programs
A robust onboarding program that helps new families begin virtual school strong:
- Orientation courses for both students and parents.
- Learning Coach Central—a website for Learning Coaches that has a “Getting Started” section with helpful resources for newly enrolled Learning Coaches.
- Learning Coach Success Series Onboarding Sessions—online sessions created specifically for new Learning Coaches. Presenters—most often experienced GLLA parents—share their insights, explain key information for new Learning Coaches, and give pointers. There’s plenty of time for questions.
- Welcome phone calls from teachers.
An area where new Learning Coaches can learn more about their roles and responsibilities:
- Learning Coach Central—not only is this website ideal for new families, but also there are multiple resources available to support experienced Learning Coaches as they guide their students to success
- Learning Coach Success Series—beyond the onboarding sessions, there are numerous live online sessions throughout the year that help parents and caretakers become successful Learning Coaches and engage with other Learning Coaches
- Learning Coach Link—a monthly newsletter with tips and tricks for Learning Coaches and with information about upcoming events and Learning Coach sessions
Discover opportunities to connect with other GLLA families and interact with those who live nearby:
- Field trips
- Events at state testing venues
- An improved school directory that allows local families to find each other
- Private Facebook groups so local families can safely interact and plan events in their area
- Online yearbook